cosmos huge. . . no blooms yet

maidinmontanaAugust 5, 2006

I planted cosmo seeds on the west side of my house (direct sow) this spring, I also bought a few mature plants to give color until the others grew. Needless to say, the store bought ones are very short some didn't even survive, but the ones I grew from seed are the biggest I've ever seen in cosmos. They are over 3' tall and the stocks are probably 1 1/2" in diameter. I am quite impressed, but it is August and there are no blooms yet, not even any buds. I hope they do bloom, those seeds will definitley be a keeper.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aaaccc(8-SC)

What kind were the ones you planted from seed? I grow huge beds of cosmos and every year the Sulphur Cosmos are the last, and the tallest to bloom for me.....usually after all the others have faded away. The Sulphur Cosmos, such as Bright Lights have just started to bloom for me a couple of weeks ago here in Zone 8.
Alice

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 1:03AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Common problem in good soil or with too much fertiliser. Cosmos do best in lean soil and even then you can expect some varieties to exceed three feet in height. Many of the named cultivars are bred as dwarfs, but where's the point in that :)

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 2:32PM
maidinmontana

I didn't keep the seed packet with the info on it, darn it anyway, I thought a cosmo was a cosmo was a cosmo, wrong ! Oh well, I am happy with it and if it does bloom I will have some big comos next year, if not hopefully I will remember the packet when I see it or just read the back for the height. It is definitley in poor or "lean" soil not a lot of fertilizer, just a good ole gal I guess. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 2:42PM
wgafaw(z7NC)

I had some huge(6 ft. tall) cosmos bloom last fall after the first light frost. It was in a weedy area that had had some wildflower seed spread out over it a few years back. It took the name that plant forum to identify it because I have lots of cosmos sulfurus which is a completely different plant. (different type of flowers, different type of leave, different growing habits)

Here is the picture I submitted to the NTP forum:

I guess, just don't give up on them blooming yet.
JP

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 9:47AM
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Cosmos bipinnatus is the big one and comes in a range of shades from white through pink to red. I think there are some doubles now too. Most hybrid cultivars will not grow to six feet but the species will.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 5:46AM
gardenlover_7(7)

I have the same problem as maininmontana. My cosmos are huge, almost 5.5 feet tall with no blooms. Strangely, one of the plants is blooming white flowers. I did fertilize the flower bed they are in and so it may be because of that. I distinctly remember reading on the seed packet the plant height as 3feet maximum, they may be bright lights (I am not positive about it). What should I do now, get rid of them, are is there hope for me. Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™