Mislabeled holly at Walmart

tom_mn(z4b_MN)May 29, 2011

Last year while traveling for work in the middle of Iowa, I wasted some downtime at the local Walmart nursery. I needed a new Blue Prince Holly, and they had them well priced for the size.

So I am quite disappointed to see female flowers on this shrub this May. So another year without berries, and I have to plant another shrub.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

at the local Walmart nursery ===>>> perhaps an oxymoron ...

walmart is walmart..

a nursery is a nursery ....

but a walmart nursery ... come on.. you got what you paid for.

no sympathy from me ...

now.. if you dont want to go thru it all again.. pay the money to a good NURSERY.. and get what you pay for ...

ken

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 12:12PM
beegood_gw

I totally agree with Ken. I 've worked for several nurseries for people who put all there time and money into producing quality plants and then have people go to the big box stores for cheap plants. Half of it is garbage and even if it does grow so many times it's not the color or even the plant you wanted or hardy for your zone. And then they come running to the local greenhouses asking for help. I've even seen some people try to return them when we didn't even grow that type. So please support your local greenhouses. They care.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 9:15PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It also makes good sense to purchase hollies when they are blooming, or in full fruiting mode.

You're certain about the flowers, right?

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 11:46PM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

I'm not promoting the WM/big box stores but sometimes that is all there is.

We have more nurseries around here than you can shake a stick at but 90% of them are commercial only, no retail sales. The others who will sell usually have a limited selection.

I do try to use them first but if they don't have what I'm interested in then I will have to use WM/HD/Lowes.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 7:23PM
tom_mn(z4b_MN)

Because Hollies need a LOT of pampering in zone 4, only one local nursery carries them at $40 each, and they were sold out last year. The big box Home Depot/Lowes places have them locally, but they only carry Princesses, never male plants.

Do I know the flowers by sex? YES, but the odd thing is that BOTH the Princesses I have seem to be forming berries. Maybe there was a twig of Prince in that shrub after all.

There is really no reasonable chance that a neighbor is growing a male nearby here in zone 4.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Wax Myrtle leaves browning & spotting
I've got several wax myrtles in my back yard. A few...
bobert18
Mixing Lilacs
I have a large section of yard that is filled with...
MsKitty31
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
Hakuro Nishiki willow, planting near house?
Hi all, I live in Seattle and recently bought a house...
nr78
Sponsored Products
Holly Coaster Set
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Holly Chest in Black
$279.00 | LexMod
Elephant Fleece Throw
$49.99 | zulily
Dimond Hollis Polished Nickel Floor Lamp with Mercury Glass
Lamps Plus
Williamsburg Christmas Garland Christmas Decor
$199.00 | FRONTGATE