Harvesting colius seed

aachenelf z5 MplsAugust 21, 2005

OK, I have not cut back the flowers on my Kong Colius because I would like to save seed. I believe these do grow true from seed. So far, there are these green seed-like pods, but they never seem to turn dark like I would imagine. Will they? When do you havest the seed on these plants?

Thanks

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gladiola_oh(z5 OH)

Coleus seeds are relatively easy to collect as the pods begin to turn brown. I hold my left palm under the seed stalk and gently rub the flower pods. The seeds obtained are easy to recognize as they look exatly like seeds.

After I collect a few seeds I plant them in a small container. With watering, they sprouted in less than a week. I overwinter them inside. The seedlings that sprouted are true, as you said.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 1:14PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Thank you. So they will turn brown eventually.

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 2:35PM
dale949(Zone 8)

I grew Kong Colius from seeds. The leaves were huge, as advertised but they only grew 6" high. What happened?
Dale949

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 7:03PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Dale

The Kong seed I harvested turned out to be good and the plants all came true which was nice. I did noticed that mine really took a long time to do anything. Like yours, the leaves were huge, but the plants only topped out at maybe 12 inches by the end of the summer compared to other colius which grew huge. I'm not sure I'm even going to plant many of the Kongs this year. They're nice, but other varieties seem to be better performers.

Kevin

Bookmark   January 7, 2007 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
planting fresh seeds
hi everyone, i have a question regarding fresh seeds,...
irameez
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™