Anyone Allergic to Hibiscus or Lantana?

goldenecho(Z8 (Waco TX))May 8, 2013

I was driving for about 20 mintues with a large hibiscus bush and a small lantana bush in the car with me. My eyes just started going crazy...watering and itching.

I'm trying to figure out which one was the culprit. I've seen hibiscus both on the bad list and the good list for allergies (on the good list because the pollen is supposed to be heavy, spread by bugs not wind, and on the bad list because...well, it didn't say).

It was an enclosed area and the air conditioning was blowing right on the hibiscus...the lantana was in the back seat. So I'm thinking it was the hibiscus. I'm wondering though since the pollen is heavy if it would be a problem with it outside.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Lantana can cause a skin reaction in some people. Perhaps you touched the lantana and then rubbed your eyes?

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 2:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Were both making flowers at the time? There must be flowers for there to be pollen. Going with Rhizo's suggestion, what else might you have touched at the garden center? I get mysterious rashes too and am constantly washing my hands after touching plants.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™