New to SW MI; other members near here?

greenhaven(SW MI z6)March 3, 2014

We moved to SW Michigan (Berrien County) last December, and are now in a solid zone six. Our property is, essentially, a blank slate (as far as we know!) and I am very much looking forward to restarting my rose gardening.

I would like to know:

-good places to shop locally for roses
-if can truly consider this a zone warmer than my 5a in northern Illinois
-which growing issues are the most problematic

I have been told that Lake Michigan creates extra-humid conditions, and I know soil types can vary greatly. I will be hitting up the soil conservation office to read soil surveys so I know better what to face.

Three years ago I left behind 30+ rose plants at our house in town, so I am eager to start again. Interesting how my wish list has changed over the years. ;o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Hi, Greenhaven, welcome to Michigan and Garden Web! I'm in SE Michigan so I'm not familiar with nurseries on the west side of the state but I do know there are several rose societies on that side. There is one in Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and the new Southwest Michigan Celebration of Roses. You can find contact information for them on the American Rose Society's web site.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

Awesome, thanks! I was excited that the snow revealed a rather large rose shrub of unknown variety in our front bed. Probably a rugosa judging by the size of the hips. Will be exciting to see what appears!

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
New Roses on the market this year...opinions?!?
I was looking at the "Roses are plants too"...
dregae
Dying rose bushes? Can they be saved?
I bought a place 5 years ago with three rose bushes,...
peachbrand
Question about pruning
I am talking about mostly hybrid teas here and I hope...
sara_ann-z6bok
Edmunds
If everything goes with what they have done in the...
keninnortheastga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™