davids10 z7a nv.May 21, 2014

oh yeah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
felisar

This is one of my favorite shrubs!

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 5:34PM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

i've had one for a number of years, but was so underwhelmed by its mature shape and weak smoke that last spring I cut it back to two 10 inch trunks. It sent out new growth and was so beautiful that I continue to coppice it. It gets about 6 ft tall and is a huge flush of gold--much lovelier than before.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 6:39AM
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

Laceyvail, I have 2 Continues shrubs that are very old. One is a purple maroon and the other a orange bronze. I don't know the cultivars but the brutal winter we had top killed most of the purple shrub, though new growth is coming out of the 3 main lower limbs. I came to this site to find out if I can coppice the shrub Your response answered that but what I would like to know is do you still get the feathery panicles. I would appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 4:39AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

No, when you coppice it you don't get any "smoke." But the flush of leaves is really spectacular.

BTW, lovetogarden, I'm surprised that your purple leaf smoke bush lasted so long in zone 4. Even here, in zone 6, when we had more normal winters with temps going around zero, there was a lot of die back in the purple leaf ones, which discouraged people from growing them as full shrubs.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 6:34AM
More Discussions
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™