Ninebark 'Summer Wine' color

samnsarahMay 8, 2012

Below is a "copy and paste" link to a photo of a Ninebark 'Summer Wine' shrub that I planted this spring. This Ninebark gets full sun until about 2:00 and then it begins getting shade from the house. When I first planted this shrub, its foliage was very dark, but now the new growth is emerging green. Is this normal for Ninebark 'Summer Wine' shrubs? Will the foliage darken up after it has grown out some? I am concerned that it is not getting enough sun to produce its really dark color. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27657351@N07/7006958528/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Purple with green in the center I wouldn't worry about, all green with no purple might indicate a reversion. Wait until the leaves have fully expanded before you decide there is a problem.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 12:58PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

What is the soil like and what, if anything, did you do to amend it? My 'Summer Wine gets shade starting at 3-4 ish this time of year and I don't recall seeing that shade of green lately. Might have when I first planted it, but I don't recall. As bboy said, you have purple and that's a good thing.

tj

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 7:42PM
samnsarah

I spoke to Sooner Plant Farm where I purchased this Ninebark from. They told me that the new leaves emerge green but turn purple as they age. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but they haven't misled me yet. I will give it some time like bboy suggested.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire Showers close to house
Would it be fine to plant Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire...
delidiva
what's this on my Viburnum?
I have two otherwise healthy Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'...
skidoo22
Wax Myrtle leaves browning & spotting
I've got several wax myrtles in my back yard. A few...
bobert18
Illicium simonsii - anyone have experience with it?
I just came across Illicium simonsii at a local nursery...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™