Scottish Broom help!

Jinxy1222May 19, 2014

New to my home and new to the Scottish Broom bush in the yard. It's blooming and looks beautiful, but the branches are coming out of the ground sideways. It rained the other day and the entire bush was laying on the ground. What can I do to fix this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

lets be very clear.. i dont know this plant ... i speak in generalities ... and if anyone with direct experience comes along i will defer ...

this happened.. because ... over the years.. it was given haircuts... its grown is so lush.. AT HEIGHT .... that it flopped over.. many flowering shrubs do this.. with haircuts ...

so to avoid such.. and keep them young vibrant plants ... we use a system called 'rejuvenation pruning' ... see link ...

you could then convert your common name to latin .. and using the rejuvenation theme .. see if you can focus in on this plant in particular ... in google

i just got done.. taking down a lilac.. about 4 times as big as yours.. basically flopping the same.. the whole plant to about 6 inches... i have no fear that it wont come back.. but in doing it all at once... i might lose bloom next spring.. i dont care.. i had a hate on for it ...

binding.. wiring ... torturing it.. will not really work.. in the long run ... you will have to remove at least 1/3 of those huge branches ... and see how it reacts.. and if it starts growing low down .. perhaps take the rest out in fall ... or 1/3 more.... and in the mean time you light pound in a huge stake and tie the rest up.. but it will not be pretty ....

read up at the link.. and lets discuss it.. if you have more questions...

or.. just dig it out.. every removal is an opportunity for something new ...

ken

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 4:50PM
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

I had one of those and LOVED it for its fragrance. But what a nightmare to control. I did the 'rejuvenation pruning' but was unsuccessful. No matter how I pruned, the new spring growth was just so heavy, the plant would flop. I have a small property and no space to waste on uncooperative plants. Ended up shovel-pruning it. I will admit the fragrance draws me in and if I had a larger property, I would grow it in an out-of-the way place where it wasn't such an eyesore.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 6:58PM
davids10 z7a nv.

brooms dont really respond very well to pruning-if you like them-and there are many nicer ones-the best plan is to replace them every few years-one gallons are cheap and they grow fast fast fast-keeping them on the dry side will help control them and give a better plant

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
What is on the branches of my Pittosporum tree?
What is it? Is it a problem and how do I get rid of...
ajackinthebox
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™