need tall, upright (skinny!) bushes to form a screen

ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)March 27, 2012

(cross posted in antique forum)

i mainly grow antiques and english, but am sure there are some must haves over in this forum that i am unaware of!

looking for tall (up to 8 to 10 feet) YET narrow girth (four foot diameter at most?) roses that i can build a screen in an east facing full sun irrigated bed.

i have queen elizabeth and could move her. and some english options (molineux, graham thomas)

what, in a broader scope than just antiques, could you recommend.

colors are flexible (prefer NOT too orange) but most others are fine, pluses are 'it cuts well', 'scent' and of course, 'beauty'.

thanks so much, anxious to explore beyond my antiques!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JessicaBe(5-6 Central Ohio)
    Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 10:57AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I would put up a trellis and put a climber or two instead. The trellis would give you a bit of screening in winter as well.

Also think about defoliation--are you going to spray fungicides to keep the foliage on them in the blackspot season?

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 11:57AM

Whooo yea trellis!! I should do that.... I have double windows that get all day sun and our house really isn't insulated right so it gets hot in here....

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:42PM
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Once you said tall, upright, and skinny, what immediately came to mind is Queen of Sweden, a pink Austin. Even in my zone 5 garden, she's easily 6-8 feet tall and no more than 2 feet wide. She's a decent rebloomer, and I'm sure in your Texas yard she'd be closer to the 8-10 feet you're looking for. That's an option if you decide not to go the route of a trellis.

Cynthia

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 3:32PM
blendguy(Oxford, England)

I was going to recommend Queen of Sweden as well, but didn't realise it could get that tall. If so, it sounds perfect.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 3:59PM
Campanula UK Z8

might be a huge ask but if you can grow bourbons, then the lovely duo of Mme Pierre Oger and Reine Victora might be brilliant - their china parentage has given them an open airy, slender and upright growth habit - they also look delightful paired. But, bourbons........weeeelll.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 4:58PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

Im not opposed to anything! I love bourbons! Sounds like queen of Sweden, which is available in Tyler. Exploring some hybrid teas too. Great search site Jessica. Thx all. Keep em coming! :)

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 11:20PM

Your welcome :)

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™