Old fashioned snowball shrub attacked

schoolhouse_gwMay 25, 2014

crosspost from Cottage Garden forum:

Anyone else experiencing leaf damage on their snowball shrub? I just noticed this morning the leaves are riddled like when Japanese Beetles decimate a shrub, only I saw a tiny grey worm with narrow black lines on its body all over the leaves. Never saw this before. In fact, my OFSnowball rarely is affected by much except the JBs.

The blooms are for the most part large and showy, but don't seem to be lasting as long. Quite a bit of brown already and it has only been a week since blooming began.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Priobably Viburnum leaf beetle. They can cause a lot of damage, even so far as killing the plant.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:39PM
schoolhouse_gw

That's what I was afraid of, no leaves, no shrub. I have some Seven spray, will that help? Altho the shrub is tall so I'm not sure I could get the top.

This Snowball Bush is very old but has always been healthy and robust.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:56PM
schoolhouse_gw

Well I went to the local RKO for more Seven Spray as I only has 1/4 of a bottle and it was old. On the way home I happened to notice a snowball bush in someone's front yard in the same shape. Then a viburnum at the edge of a woods with one half of it decimated. Is this a new invasion in Ohio?

The bottle of Seven was able to spray to the top of the shrub and I tried to cover as much of the foliage as possible. On a woody stem, I saw a cluster of dark red insects like mites. Then worms nearby. I hope the shrub comes out of this or I will be very sad.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 4:00PM
smivies

Agreed, likely Viburnum Beetle. If you can get the shrub through that first outbreak, you should be able to control the beetle on your snowball bush in years to come with much less effort.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™