Browning and Dying Hedges

stephanie38May 7, 2009

The shrubs that make up my backyard hedges started turning brown, and two of them dried out completely. I removed them. I don't know their scientific name but I've always called them "spreading yews". I've lost those two shrubs already that were next to each other, and now I'm losing others on the opposite side of the pathway. The browning does seem to be spreading from shrub to the shrub, as if the browning is "contagious".

I'm going to lose all of my hedges if I don't find a solution. Has anyone run into this problem? If so, what's the cure?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

The most common cause of yew damage in my part of the country is too much water, especially in clay soil. Having said that, here in KS we had a swampy growing season last year followed by a dry winter. A number of yews browned out during the winter due to root loss from the wet season followed by drying out during the winter drought (called desiccation) - the root loss kept them from drawing enough water. Black vine weevil can attack yews, and also other pests but it sounds more like a moisture thing.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™