giant globe thistle echinops tienschanicum

yellow_bear_1(z4 (5) SD)January 8, 2009

I've got a hankering to grow the giant Globe Thistle. About ten years ago I saw one in a garden in Wyoming. 7 feeet tall, flowers at least the size of tennis balls, maybe larger. A little later I saw sed for it in a catalog but didn't act on it and now I can't find any availabe except in the UK. Does anybody here know of any access to this giant? Here in zone 4 large plants are a thrill. We grow Inula giantea, Thalictrum Elin, and they really make us feel like we're in a different zone. :)

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bindersbee(6a UT)

That sounds like a very interesting plant so I did some googling too. The only American source I found was Bay State Nusery in Massachusetts but it doesn't look like they do mail order. Annie's Annuals has it listed but it says 'not currently in production'.

Chiltern Seed sells the seeds and, although they are overseas, I have ordered from them before and been very happy with what I got. If you are looking for a few differnt less-common plants Chiltern is a great place to turn.

I'll bet that plant is waterwise too! Dang it! Now I REALLY want it. We can both covet it. LOL!

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 5:32PM
organicmickie(6 SW Ohio)

Sometimes they [Chiltern's] sells at the Home and Garden Shows or larger Flower Shows. Its always a risk though, to not get something early when you want it bad!

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 4:01PM
annette99(5)

I found echinops sphaerocephalus sounds similar to what you are looking for check it out at specialty perennials it gets 6' and is hardy to zone 3. Good luck

Bookmark   January 18, 2009 at 4:16PM
organicmickie(6 SW Ohio)

Hey Tom -

Are you still looking for those echinops? I placed an order with Chilterns and have more than I need. I would be happy to share if you email your address to me.

Mickie

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 1:23PM
Nevermore44 - 6a

Hi OrganicMickie,

if you have any of the echinops tienschanicum left over, i would definitely be interested too! Trade or the like.

nevermore44@yahoo.com

-m

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 4:20PM
yellow_bear_1(z4 (5) SD)

Mickie!
I, too, ordered the E. tienschanicum from Chiltern along with Lathyrus vernus that we had seen at the Denver Botanical Gardens but had been unable to find a source for anywhere. So it was a GREAT recommendation. I have takers here already for the extra plants. I'm going to start the whole lot and distribute the plants to hopefully secure a future source of seed in case of plant failure in our garden. I have received a seed germination tip to place the pointy tip down in the starting medium. Lets try to remember to get back here to compare notes!
Tom

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 10:10PM
organicmickie(6 SW Ohio)

Hi Tom,

Yes, we'll keep in touch. I am sharing seeds now and plants later; gotta cover all the bases. I love big plants.

Nevermore - please send your address and I will send you some seeds!

Mickie

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 10:04PM
yellow_bear_1(z4 (5) SD)

Mickie, Are you familiar with the giant Inula? It's a great big plant hardy even here in zone 4. the plant gets 8 or 9 feet tall with leaves two or more feet long. The yellow composite flowers are okay but the plant itself is such a grand presence and grows in shade or sun!
Tom

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 10:17PM
pdshop(5)

Can any of you tell me the address for Chiltern. I am in MA. and am not familar with it. I saw some in VT. last weekend and want it!!!

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 8:45AM
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Some other huge plants that might interest you--Persicaria 'Crimson Beauty' (absolutely non invasive and gets 12 feet tall with gorgeous Sept bloom), Silphium perfoliatum (cup plant), Coreopsis tripteris, Persicaria polymorpha (8 ft tall and 12 feet wide with bloom from lt. May into August). Not sure about the zones for these plants.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
daves10
Hey, I just remember I have...
globeflower! Totally forgot I have these, I was typing...
mxk3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™