Fafard Seed Starter Mix Bad?

Roll_BonesSeptember 19, 2013

I got a bag of Fafard seed starting mix from the seconds at Fafard the plant in Anderson SC.
They sell mixes at very low prices that do not meet production standards. I have had no problems with the potting mixes.
I have had this bag opened in my basement for almost 8 years.
Can a mix like this go bad?

The reason I ask is. I have trouble starting seeds in it. I planted two flats. One sprouted almost 100% and the other flat, zero sprouted. Same seeds, same medium, same amount of water and light.

I had issues with starting seeds before, but I never thought about the mix. Is it possible something is wrong with it.
I am familiar with horticulture and seed starting.

Thanks in Advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Very interesting. So the same bag gave you 100% germination and zero germination? I would think it wasn't the mix....seems to be an outside influence. This may sound funny, but did a cat pee in one flat :) ??? Did one flat get the medium that was on top of the bag? Maybe something dropped into the bag....could the bag have received any chemical spray over it?

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:41AM
naturemitch(3/4 WI)

Very interesting. So the same bag gave you 100% germination and zero germination? I would think it wasn't the mix....seems to be an outside influence. This may sound funny, but did a cat pee in one flat :) ??? Did one flat get the medium that was on top of the bag? Maybe something dropped into the bag....could the bag have received any chemical spray over it?

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 8:47PM
Roll_Bones

Cat pee is possible, but not likely. I guess I should get some new mix and see if that corrects the issue.

I just did not want to waste this big bag of seed starter mix.

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Asparagus seedling help needed
So I'm growing Mary Washington from seed this year-...
beesneeds
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™