Wild grapes growing in my backyard, are they edible?

BedStuyGardenerSeptember 3, 2011

Hi All,

I would be super happy to know if I can/should eat these wild grapes growing wildly in my backyard. I don't know if someone else planted before I moved in or not, but it's a very aggressive plant. In fact, before I moved in, the landlord had thought he had destroyed it all, but shoots from the tree took off at the onset of summer and the plant has reached from one side of the yard to the other in the course of a few months. The grapes start green and have just recently started turning dark purple in the last few weeks. When I open the grapes, they smell like grape juice and I really want to eat them, but am afraid they might be poisonous. Your help identifying is greatly appreciated!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ChatanoogaChooChoo(7b)

I would say they are fine. Doing a quick search of 'poisonous grapes' only turns up dog stories, but I have no personal experience myself.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 2:03PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Looks like wild grapes to me. Just so you know, if you check edible wild plant and forager info, the poisonous wild grape look alike is Canadian Moonseed, Menispermum canadense. That is the plant you need to make sure it isn't.

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 4:46PM
Carrie B(6B/7A)

That's not moonseed. I'm loathe to suggest someone try something if they're not 100% sure, nevertheless, that's exactly what I'd do if this plant showed up in my yard.

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 4:51PM
fatamorgana2121(Zone 5/6)

Yes, I agree not moonseed, looks like wild grapes. But since we are talking about eating wild plants, I just wanted to mention the look alike so the OP and anyone reading this post (and we both know there are plenty of those!) would know that not everything that looks like a wild grape might be a wild grape.

I personally have never seen moonseed. Grapes, on the other hand... I live in a part of the US known for grapes and wine. Wild grapes grow every place. They are a common "weed" for me to deal with in gardens. Old vines in forests here get as thick as young tree trunks - you could swing on the vines like Tarzan! I would think nothing of using anything that looked like wild grapes. But I'm sure not everyone has the same situation, hence the word of caution. :)

FataMorgana

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 9:02AM
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

Those are wild grapes. I ate many pounds of those as a kid, right off the vine, after climbing halfway up the tree they were on. Never liked the skins much, so I would crack the skin with my teeth, and then suck out the greenish insides. And the spit out the seeds.

The grapevines themselves may be a menace, but the fruit is edible. The flavor doesn't compare to modern varieties. But they won't hurt you.

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 8:41PM
BedStuyGardener

Thanks for your replies and insight, everyone. The grapes are delicious.

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 3:42PM
jaynine

They make really good jelly (or jam), too!

Bookmark   September 5, 2011 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
What variety of lavender is this?
Can anyone tell me what kind of lavender this is? Thank...
Sarah Venn
Trying to ID a bromeliad
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Trailing Gardenia roots-Ok or diseased?
Got this gardenia plant from a neighbor today. It...
elaineal
Help identify please!
Picked it up from home depot, titled "houseplant...
loveydovey71321
Sponsored Products
Monaco Sofa Sectional - Off White
Opulent Items
Silver Lamp: 11.81 in. Silver Mini Table Lamp with Faux Fur Zebra Shade LT3024-Z
$17.99 | Home Depot
My World Cotton Fire Truck Pillow
$29.99 | Bellacor
Luxembourg Privacy Screen
Grandin Road
Snowman Mini Mason Jar Display
$8.99 | zulily
Magic Hole Sofa by Kartell
$1,100.00 | Lumens
Collins Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Burlap Print Giclee Glow 14" Wide Ceiling Light