loquat seedlings' leaves turning brown

tsquared27September 13, 2013

I propagated them a few months ago, and most have seemed to survive this far, but even those have begun to acquire a browning that starts at the tips and slowly kills the leaf. I first moved to indirect sunlight, then cut down on watering (it used to be daily, but now much less often). I'm still not sure what to do though, because it doesn't seem to have gotten much better. I couldn't seem to find anything on the internet that really addressed my exact problem. Help would be appreciated and thanks for reading!

Pics:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Leaf edge or tip browning is often caused by salt buildup in your soil. I would but the pot in a tub of water, emerging to the soil surface for an hour or so, then remove it and let it drain. From now on when you water, apply enough so that about 20% of the water applied, can be seen exiting the drain holes. I am assuming you are using a soil less potting mix, preferably bark based, and well drained. Al

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 9:52AM
tsquared27

Keeping the pot emerged in water for an hour won't damage the roots, will it?

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 8:05PM
calistoga_al

No submerging for an hour will not cause a problem. The object is to flush out the potting soil of accumulated salts from previous fertilizer applications. Too often fertilizer dissolved in water is applied to dry soil and not flushed through the pot drains, thus an accumulation which causes leaf edges to burn. Al

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 9:58PM
tsquared27

Thanks a lot! Will try tomorrow. Also I just noticed my incorrect vocabulary in my last post so I apologize for that!

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Perennials and annuals--any disadvantages to early start
OK- I, in zone 6A, generally start my flower seeds...
sujiwan_gw
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™