Poppies stunted?

Karl69September 18, 2012

I recently planted some poppies in a peat pellet. they sprouted and grew to about 1-2 inches. But now they have stoped growing. i placed the peat pellate in a larger cup untill they are more istablished. for a about a week and a half now they have not grown any larger. ALONG with that, 3 of the 5 still have tips of leaves in the seed still. tried prying the seed of of one only to kill the baby seedling. :( PLEASE HELP.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Poppies are a summer growing annual, not a tropical that grows all year. Try again in the spring. Al

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 9:16AM
terrene(5b MA)

Poppies also seriously resent any root disturbance; in my experience you can transplant but only when very tiny (cotyledon stage or so) and then you must be careful not to disturb roots.

My poppies have always done best via direct sowing in late winter/early spring.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 7:34PM
NemJones(5)

In my experience, DO NOT EVER plant those "bio degradable"
peat pots or jiffy pots. Very nice starter pots, but they stunt the poor plants. Had some tomatoes like this. One was 2-3 feet bigger than its partner. I dug up the small one, and it was instantly apparent that the peat pot had stunted it.

My recommendation, (IF YOU CAN)cut the fabric off the peat moss, and leave the moss intact. find a place in the yard or a suitable pot, and repot. Dont disturb the seedlings roots.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™