vanilla bean seed

pomme8916September 25, 2006

I know this probably isnt the best thing to do but i am eandering if it is possible to grow vinailla from seeds? I also know they requirire a symbiotic fungus. where cani i get it/make it? how to plant and grow info will be apreciated.

Thanks,

please email at joair89@inbox.com

pme8916

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

Advanced stuff! Are you familiar with flask culture of other orchid species? Are you aware that Vanilla is a tree-size climbing plant and therefore very difficult to grow indoors.

I'm not sure if the symbiotic fungus is available commercially. All cultures I am aware of use either the plant or soil it has been growing in to grow the fungus for germination.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 8:57AM
bellegallica(9)

Shrubs and bulbs is right. Growing orchids from seed requires flask culture, very sterile conditions, etc.

It would probably be easier--and faster--to simply buy a vanilla orchid. I don't know what the exact number is for the vanilla orchid (vanilla planifolia), but orchids can take up to 5-7 years to bloom from seed.

Also, once you get vanilla pods, I've read it can be a real chore to get them to the point where they can be used for culinary purposes.

Good luck, though!

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 12:00AM
bellegallica(9)

Sorry, I hit the submit button too soon. I meant to add that if you post this message at the Orchids forum you may get some replies from members who have tried this and can give you lots of info and advice.

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™