growing raspberry plant from seed

cleocrafta(z4 MN)September 19, 2013

Wondering if anyone has successfully grown raspberry plants from the seeds found in the raspberry fruit. I want to start a large patch and thought I might grow some plants from the fruit found @ my local farmers market. What are your thoughts on this? thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

My main thought on this idea is that you have no guarantee of getting raspberry plants with worthwhile fruit if you grow from seed. Not to mention the time you'll need to grow the plants to fruiting size. It is good practice to weed out any seedlings from a raspberry patch for this very reason. If you leave them you run the risk of ending up with a stand of very inferior small, bobbly berries. It is much better to buy a named variety of known quality, even if only a small number of canes to start with. They will soon increase and you can propagate more from them and be sure to have fruit worth eating. Would the people at the farmers' market sell you some canes? Or at least tell you the name of the variety they're selling so you can buy some elsewhere?

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 7:16AM
More Discussions
Trouble growing beets
Does anyone know why my beet seedlings will germinate...
mtgs
Germination time for Lily of the Valley started indoors
As a newbie, this is my first year starting plants...
SnowStorm
Will my morning glory's lose legginess if i put them outside?
I planted morning glory seeds inside on a window about...
tlbean2004
Crock pot as a "heating pad"
Just had my first cleome seed sprout after about a...
marigold.mary
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™