Avocado Pit?

Sami-Doughty(5)September 6, 2013

I don't know if this post belongs here exactly or not, but it is germination from a seed. I have tried growing an Avocado tree from a pit. I have had it for a couple weeks, keeping it well watered in the suspended in the glass with water method. My seed has split all the way around, but nothing has grown from it, not even a root. I just planted it in some miracle grow potting soil and watered it well in hopes that maybe something would come of it. Any ideas or suggestions? Will it still produce eventually? Has anybody had any luck with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bugbite(z9a FL)

I just stuck a seed in the ground slightly covered and it grew into a small tree without any care. I am in 9b and the cold kept nipping it so I pulled it. It was in the wrong spot anyway. Guess I never expected it to grow. I thought of planting some of the new types that are more cold hardy but never did.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

It takes a little time to grow them from their pits, but it's a basic second grade experiment. All grade school kids have success.

I got a few to grow, but they died when they got into a pot with soil.

There is one that survived. It's putting out leaves like crazy! They do love water, which is why they do just fine in pure water! Mine is on a drip system. We will transplant into the ground in spring on a drip system and add a couple more for polination!

Good luck!

Suzi

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Help with germination!
Hello all! I have a question! I started some of my...
countryladies14
Why did my morning glory seeds grow so much in just 3 days!?!?
I planted some heavenly blue morning glory seeds on...
tlbean2004
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
snaps zone 7
So it's that time. I had moderate success with snapdragons...
Emily Carter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™