Yellow roses for west-facing containers?

dsb22(z7 VA)March 29, 2012

Hi,

My neighbor has three large half barrels that I would like to plant with yellow roses. The house has a brick front and the roses will be close to a wine&roses weigela.

In addition to the color criteria, my ideal would be compact, have continuous bloom and have moderate to strong fragrance. I prefer double to very full bloom forms.

I am willing to spray though the less the better.

The barrels get hot afternoon sun from 2pm onwards. Last year I did combination plantings in the barrels and the site was too hot for calibrachoa. Salvia and echinacea did fine, portulaca was very happy.

Are there any roses that meet these criteria and would be happy in these conditions? I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapdogly(NoVA6)

I grow Sunsprite in the ground, which was a bloom machine last summer and has a wonderful, fruity fragrance. The plant is very compact here for me in NJ, and should be good for container growing in VA. I put a Julia Child in a large hot a week ago. I don't have any first-hand experience to share yet. But from the pictures I saw, it is a beauty.

I gave a Molineux to my niece last year. It is doing fatanstic in a pot on her Houston, TX balcony.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:21PM
seil zone 6b MI

There's Sunny Knock Out but I don't know anything about it. Although I think I've read that it isn't the best of the KOs. The one I have and really love is Julia Child. Sunny yellow, heavy bloomer with pretty good disease resistance and winter hardiness.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:31PM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Oh my goodness, I did a quick search on Sunsprite, Julia Child and Molineux and they are all beautiful, just what I had in mind. Tomorrow I will see which I can find locally or whether I'll have to order online. Thank you both so much!

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 1:31AM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

Take a quick look at Sun Flair. I like it much better then Sunsprite. Better foliage and better bloom and rebloom. Molineux is a beautiful rose. Different color yellow.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 9:05PM
alameda/zone 8

I love Sunny Knockout - I have 2 huge bushes by my front entrance and more elsewhere, also in pots. From a distance, they look like gardenias, and are very healthy. Julia Child is a wonderful rose - healthy and blooms lots and stays a butter yellow color. Nacogdoches [Grandma's Yellow] is another good one.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 12:23AM
dsb22(z7 VA)

Thank you, ken and alameda! Sorry for the delay, I thought replies were going to be emailed to me but they weren't. Sun Flair looks gorgeous as well. I've been leaning strongly towards Julia Child, just waffling on ordering online or waiting for local nurseries to get them in stock here. Going to call one more nursery tomorrow. Thanks again!

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 6:13AM
diane_nj 6b/7a

Dsb22, if I lived in VA, I would contact Connie at Hartwood Roses. She'll provide good advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hartwood Roses Contact Info

Bookmark   April 3, 2012 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
High Country Roses review: pics of what my order looked like
HCR was so good with my order, I feel the need to 'pay...
laura242424
Fire ants. Friend or foe?
I have fire ants here and there, but they seem to be...
jkellydallas
climbing roses
I have a 6 foot and 6 foot high chain link that im...
kaesgarden
Before you order...
I have been propagating a lot of roses this past year,...
bluegirl_gw
osmocote potting soil
I saw piles of this potting soil at my local National...
view1ny NY 6-7
Sponsored Products
Traditional Thermostatic Shower System, Rose & Ceiling Arm & Body Jets
Hudson Reed
Lacquer Box with Frosted Square Glass Candle
$139.00 | FRONTGATE
Home Decorators Area Rug: Imperial Rose 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Rose Momento Merlot Window Valance
$30.98 | Bellacor
Solid Bronze Rose Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware