Pansies from seeds

jeannieNYC(6)October 15, 2012

I would like some help with growing pansies from seeds. I've googled and read forums about "pansies from seeds" and I have found different advice on how to grow pansies from seeds. I have read on blogs/forums that pansy seeds require about a week of darkness before they will germinate but and I have read elsewhere where people were successful in germinating pansy seeds without having to place them in a dark (and cool) place. Plus, the instructions on the seed packet did not say i would need to place them in a dark place. I am starting these seeds indoors with a seed starting tray.

I have planted the pansy seeds for two weeks now and so far, no germination. It is placed by a window that has blinds so no direct sun is hitting it but does get some filtered light through. I have read that it may take 2 to 3 weeks for germination but if i don't see anything by the end of this week, does someone have a recommendation? Or should i just place the tray some place dark and cool?

I'm in the NYC area, which i believe is a zone 6.

Can someone shed some light on whether i have to place the seed starting tray in a dark and cool place in order to get the pansy seeds to germinate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

i have been germinating/growing pansies for over 20 years using the following info
1) MUST use seed within 6 months of collection....Some varities & cultivars regullary have poor germination rates & poor vigor.
2) store seed at 40F for 7 days
3)Lightly cover the seed soil temp 65-70F for germination that takes 10 days

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:20PM
goblugal(7)

Jeannie - could you describe your "seed starting tray"? My company grows millions of pansies every year. We germinate in a cool chamber, set at 62 degrees with high humidity, and the seeds are covered lightly. Keeping the seed moist is a must. If your seeds are sitting on the surface, it is highly probable that they are drying out or baking.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 2:50PM
jeannieNYC(6)

Thank you yiorges-z5il and goblugal for your response.

@goblugal i am using jiffy peat pots with potting mix. i sprayed with water after i planted, the seeds were lightly covered with potting mix. They are kept in a plastic tray with clear plastic cover by the window with blinds (filtered sunlight). I am planning to get Burpee seed starting tray.

@yiorges-z5il I will try your method and see if anything germinates. i got the seeds about 6 months ago (April). I will place the seeds in the refrigerator - maybe that will help?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:26AM
goblugal(7)

You should be able to germinate pansies between damp paper towels in about 6 says. I'm going to guess that your seed isn't viable, or you cooked them in the dome.

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 12:23PM
jeannieNYC(6)

@ goblugal - i placed the rest of the seeds (packet) in the refrigerator. If I place seeds between damp paper towels where do i place them? In the "dome"? in a plastic bag and in the refrigerator?

Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 2:53AM
goblugal(7)

Definitely not the fridge - they are usually about 40 degrees. Somewhere cool, around 60, where you can keep the paper towels damp. If you don't see the radicals emerging by 10 days, I would say your seed is bad.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 12:38PM
jeannieNYC(6)

Thank you @goblugal

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 3:29PM
chervil2(z5 MA)

I wonder if shelf life of pansy seed could be extended by freezer storage? This method is working well for germination of my older spinach seeds.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Do not use Miracle Grow Potting Soil for seed starting!
We decided to use some leftover Miracle Grow Potting...
cmonkey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™