King's Ransom

twoozone(Dallas, TX)March 29, 2009

Anyone grow King's Ransom? I wanted a new yellow and North Haven had it. Curious about size, health, rebloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bewitched

We grew King's Ransom.I recall it as a tall,straight growing plant that used to bloom respectably in terms of quantity.I had it in sort of a tough area of the garden and it still performed pretty well,so I suppose it's fairly rugged.

Eventually,we got tired of it's habit of having large but loose open blooms and gave it away.Though we had King's Ransom in full sun.Perhaps the blooms would hold shape longer if it were given some afternoon shade.And they did hold their color well,even as the early shape slipped away.

I didn't have significant disease problems with KR itself.Unlike one of it's parents,Golden Masterpiece.Which,despite the magnificent size of the flowers,was one of our biggest disease magnets.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 6:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bim1204

kings ransom was part of my AARS list of old time roses i grow / IN DEFENCE OF kr I HAd it in a crumpy spot , but she is not a bloom machine , it grows upright and is not spreading , the blooms do not last very long , and as all of the older varities is now prone to blackspot . i still have mine its down to a one cane wonder and am currently trying to nurse back , good luck

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Julia Child for Pacific Northwest garden
I am on Vancouver Island and would love to add Julia...
Blueisland BC Pacific NW-Z8
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™