Is my pyracantha dying?

javaandjazz(z6 CT)May 16, 2012

My pyracantha has no new growth at all this year and still retains the berries from last fall. The leaves have not really greened up either. We had a dry early spring but have had enough rain in the last month. I am stumped. Does anyone have a clue as to what's happening? Thanks, Richie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

It's been a very strange spring- give it more time, perhaps.
Some of my plants don't quite know what to do, either.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:29AM
steve1young(7A)

Wow! Great job on your espalier!!

But, your Pyra' doesn't look so happy, eh? Hmmmmm. I'm hoping a little more time will do it good. Fingers crossed for you. Mine also tends to look like that after a rather dry winter before the spring rains work their magic and the new shiny foliage comes through.

I also have mine espaliered and I know that Pyracantha blooms on old wood, so I try to prune it only after it flowers in the late spring. But, I'm finding that it's not blooming in places where it previously bloomed/berried.

I tried reaching out to fellow forum folk for advice, but no one answered. So, I'm thinking of doing some experimenting and trying judicious pruning in areas that previously bloomed/berried hoping that it will stimulate some new growth in those areas for this season that will then bloom/berry next season. Make sense?

Anyhow, best of luck with your Pyro' and if you have any advice for my Pyro' pruning then please pass it along.

ps - Mine has red berries. Nearly half of it was covered with so many red berries this winter that you could barely see the foliage. I should have taken pics!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 2:38PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

That doesn't look good to me. I've not grown Pyracantha but I do know they can get Fireblight and Scab.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyracantha problems

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:35PM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

I am hoping I don't have scab. I am going to give it more time and see what happens? Do any of you have suggestions in case I have to pull it out and replace it with something else I can grow on the trellis. Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:37PM
steve1young(7A)

If you do decide to replant, I'm sure there are Pyracatha's out there that are Fireblight/Scab resistent. Best of luck!

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 10:57AM
javaandjazz(z6 CT)

So it's dead! The leaves are all turning yellow from the bottom up and they are falling off as well. It's gotten worse over the past week. I have several baby pyracanthas growing in pots in back of my garage and I am considering putting one of them in place but I will have to spray for the scab from now on. My question is, would you replant the same variety plant?

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:03AM
steve1young(7A)

I would highly suggest replacing it with something Fireblight/Scab resistent. You obviously spent a great deal of time/effort creating such a beautiful espalier. It would be so sad to see that go to waste. Best of luck!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™