dogwood seeds

djhawk31(6)October 15, 2007

I have around 400 dogwood seeds ready to go. My question is ... Can I put them in the refrigerator now and start them in my greenhouse in february or should I wait until spring.I live in central pa. thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Can you tell us which dogwood?

Cornus sanguinea (Common Dogwood) and cornus alternifolia (Pagoda dogwood) , sow 3-5 months @ 70ºF, followed by 3 months @ 39ºF, move to 70ºF for germination.

Most of the others will germinate skipping the first moist warm period and going straight to the moist chill, but the length of time for the suggested chill can vary from 3 - 5 months depending on which dogwood tree.

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 11:10AM
djhawk31(6)

morz, they are the common white dogwood.

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 6:27PM

OK, maybe we could narrow it down this way if you picked your own seeds.

Common dogwood/cornus sanguinea is a multi stemmed large shrub rather than tree-like and has blue-black fruit. Cornus alternifolia/pagoda is a large tree and has purple black fruit. Both of these would do better with an extended warm moist period before the moist chill.

Cornus florida is another of our native trees, the fruit on it is red when ripe. Wash seeds, sow 5 months @ 39ºF, move to 70ºF for germ

Bookmark   October 16, 2007 at 10:47AM
rjinga

Can I bump this post up? I have the same question and I think I have found seeds from Cornus Florida. Are we talking about sowing into (and what type) soil, putting in the fridge (to obtain the 39 degrees F, then outside (GH? for the 70 degrees?

Do you have to do anything to the seed, remove any of the red flesh? Or is that the actual seed?

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 8:26AM
rjinga

no one answered my question so I'm bumping again, I'd really like to try to grow these.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 4:07PM
ryan_tree(7aVA)

No one answered because no one knows. Stop bumping the thread. Search the internet. You'll be surprised what you can find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Internet

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 4:13PM

rjinga, yes, Wash seed thoroughly to remove all flesh -which can contain inhibitors to germination...that's true of most fleshy berries/fruits, you want to get the pulp off.

If you think what you have is cornus florida, it isn't likely you could sow outdoors and still get 5 months chill in your zone now. You don't necessarily have to put in soil/pots if refrigerator space is a consideration, you could put them in a tiny zip lock with just a tsp or two (depending on how many seeds) of moist sterile vermiculite or moist sterile sand, date the bag, take it out and sow (approx 3/8" deep) entire contents after the required number of weeks chilling.

And I'm glad you 'bumped'...I didn't see your post in Dec....suspect no one else noticed it tacked on either.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 12:07AM
goldfishgray

can i have some? :P

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 6:58PM
ryan_tree(7aVA)

Nope. This is a 2 year old thread. I doubt they are even here anymore.

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Growing Golden Chalice Vine, From Seeds.
well i manage to get my Sensitive plant seeds to sprout,...
aveo5
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™