Coir mixes

Pamela Veenstra(z5 NH)October 30, 2013

I want to make my own mix for starting seeds. Can I use just Coir and worm castings, or should also add a light peat-based mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

It's just one study, but you might want to read through this before committing to starting seeds in coir. I have no personal comparison to add, haven't used it for seeds -

Here is a link that might be useful: Coir vs Peat

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree with the above - there are some issues associated with using straight coir. It works much better as a secondary component of the mix rather than the primary ingredients IMO. The quality of the coir used can also make a big difference.

In our GH we have done some informal comparisons between coir and peat based mixes and find a somewhat better level of germination with the peat mixes. Plus the peat based mixes (or a 2:1 peat to coir mix) have less fungus gnat issues and slightly better root development.

The finer the grind of coir the better the results it seems. We tied some bulk supplies of coarse ground coir and got very poor results from it.

Granted these are very unscientific results and there are lots of variables than can affect the results, but as you are going to have enough issues arise from using the worm castings that I'd encourage you to incorporate peat into your mix.

Dave

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™