Recommend bird shrub for NW side of house

sujiwan_gwMay 19, 2014

I'm starting a bird and butterfly friendly garden along the rear of my property. There's an area on the western facing side of the kitchen (NW corner of house, 10 ft tall to roof line) where I have about 60 sf of potential planting space. The house is stone, so there will be some reflected heat, but there are also some trees and shrubs about 15 feet away that mitigate direct sun somewhat. It's shady enough further back to grow a yew 12 feet away, though not luxuriously. Soil is thin and crappy all over my yard, but I can amend it. Hose is close by for water.

What kind of shrub that attracts song birds would like these conditions? Anything that would be fragrant ( kitchen window and door to stoop are close by)?

North central MD, zone 6b

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Well, resident and early migrating robins as well as cedar waxwings love holly berries in late winter. Mockingbirds like to nest in them as well. Cat birds love to hang out in the dense foliage.

Ilex 'Nellie Stevens' has a soft fragrance. You also get the evergreen glossy foliage year round.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™