Lilac Question

subtropixMay 1, 2012

Today, I was weeding around my lilac and crape myrtles and noticed lots of plants emerging from the surrounding area that appeared to be lilac--in other words, the plants were growing from the ground and spreading around the single lilac bush I originally planted--almost invasively toward the crapes. I did not realize lilac did this--if it is in fact, lilac. Also, can I propagate the plants this way. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strobiculate

I believe the answers are yes and yes.

lilacs tend to sucker and these suckers are able to be removed from the parent and transplanted. do some digging and you'll find out what the roots look like on the suckering stems.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 10:38PM
smivies

I have discovered that can also seed themselves quite competently as is the case with the Preston lilac growing next door.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:37AM
Coconut_Head(5b)

In a related question is there a way to encourage suckering? I am trying to grow a hedge and want the plants to spread out in between the origional plantings. Should I mulch the row? Will that remove the competition from the grass growing there now and will the shoots be strong enough to break through a layer of thick mulch?

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 3:16PM
rigelcaj(z5 VT)

CH, as another lilac hedge aspirant :) I bet if you tell people that you want lilac suckers you'll be showered with them, and then you can just stick them in the ground and see what they do. I got lucky and found a lady who wanted to get rid of her patch of lilacs. I went with a shovel and filled my truck, so keep an eye on craigslist too. I've also been told that if you mulch lilacs with compost, you won't get blooms but they'll grow foliage like crazy, and you profit in later years. Haven't tried that though.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Help me choose a hedge!
I need to plant a privacy hedge in my front yard (we...
glitzalicious
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™