Need help with shrub selection

katrina_ellenMay 12, 2014

Hello All,
I am in the process of planting a row of shrubs alongside the chain link fence to provide some privacy and enclosure in my backyard. This is what I have so far: 5 Emerald green arborvitae's that begin the row, next in the row are two Summer Wine Ninebarks. In the very back of the yard, centered in it is a Large Colorado Blue spruce. I am looking for suggestions of what to plant to finish out the row. The shrubs are on the north side of the house but it gets full sun to light shade. It does not have to be evergreen - I am in Zone 5 and it gets very cold so I don't hang out outside in the yard in the cold months. I thought about planting all Summer Wine Ninebarks to finish it out, but if you have any other suggestions that you could throw out there I would really appreciate it. I thought of Ivory Halo Dogwoods after the two Ninebarks, they get about the same size as the Ninebarks and seem like they would coordinate well color-wise. Or...? Thanks for any advice and or suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Why not some of the large Viburnums? V. dilatums 'Asian Beauty' or 'Erie', or a couple of V. dentatums, or V. sargentii 'Susquehanna'.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 6:22AM
prairiegirlz5

My favorite viburnum is V. sargentii 'Onondaga'. Arrowwood viburnum, V. dentatum is also very showy.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 6:50AM
prairiegirlz5

My favorite viburnum is V. sargentii 'Onondaga'. Arrowwood viburnum, V. dentatum is also very showy.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 7:49AM
katrina_ellen

Thanks for the suggestions lacey and prairie, I will look them up, I have never grown a viburnum so am not familiar with them. Funny because I had in my mind to check them out, due to hearing so many gardeners on this site growing them.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 8:22AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum is one of my favorite Viburnums. Rock hardy, fluffy white flowers that cover the plant in May, and excellent red fall color. I have a couple of different types.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™