Caryopteris divaricata Snow Fairy

ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5May 26, 2011

hows this for some winter damage .... lol

coming right back.. full steam ahead ...

ken

ps: so instead of pruning shears .. i take the camera .. you win.. the plants will deal with it ... lol ... if i leave them there long enough.. they will rot and i can just pull them out.. what.. maybe 2 years ....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Ken, Caryopteris divaricata, either the species or cultivars, is a herbaceous perennial, not a sub shrub like C. clandonensis. It dies back to the ground like any other, even in zone 6A. I cut it back in fall when I'm doing garden clean up.

BTW, you should try 'Snow Fairy' with Geranium 'Rozanne' climbing through it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 6:11AM
blue23rose(6b IN)

I have C. clandonensis and absolutely love it! So when I saw your post I wondered if this was something I wanted to get for my garden. Upon reading about it I came across an interesting statement that when the leaves of C. divaricata are crushed, it smells like cat urine. Is this true? I like the variegated leaves and it does look like it's going to do well.

It's nice to know someone else takes pictures of their plants in less than optimal condition:) Yours looks just like mine before I cut it back and I love the way mine propagates itself when it touches the ground. Babies to give away or plant in my own garden!!

Vickie

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 1:54PM
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

Yes, it smells like cat urine. lol I love it too though and mine is like this - an herbaceous perennial.

I just grab the dead by the handful and twist...comes right off!

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 2:46PM
steve1young(7A)

Thank you, Vickie! Great idea for propogation. I'll have to bend a few branches down into the soil and get some babies going. I LOVE this plant. It is truly one of my very favorites so I'll have to make at least 5 more and see where I can fit them in!

I especially like companion planting it with Dicentra spectabalis, so that when the Bleeding Hearts are fading away, the Caryopteris is just starting to emerge. Perfect planting partners!

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™