When do beets go to seed and can the winter over?

Earth_HealerOctober 22, 2013

I have some beets growing and it is close to the time of freezing but they are not ready for harvest. I have two questions, can beets winter over and do beets go to seed like some plants in that they only seed after the second yr?

Well I lied, I've one more question. If beets can winter over are the roots edible or will they turn bitter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Beets will usually, in most climates, go to seed next year when it starts to get noticeably warm.

Your other questions are better discussed at Vegetable Gardening - GardenWeb. I think you will find there that you can overwinter beets with enough mulch and that some varieties may sometimes get a bit sweeter during the early winter.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Campanula UK Z8

yeah, mine overwinter....but they are pretty huge and gnarly, fit only for roasting and borscht......nothing like those little golfball summer beets. In truth, I mainly grow them for the leaves cos I am not keen on quite a lot of root crops (parsnip....gah!)...but essentially, they are biennial so will bolt to seed next year around May (for me).

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™