Evaporation or leak?

JoecdSeptember 21, 2013

First I would like to thank everyone for reading and putting thought into my question. I have recently put a new pond in August. The size is 10 x 20 feet. I have a 3 foot waterfall and I used the blk rubber liner meant for ponds. I have the perimeter surrounded by large boulders. I was losing about 3/4 inch of water in a 24 hr period. I have since tourn it apart two times and found 2 small holes that were formed by me laying the boulders down on my shelf witch is 8 inches below surface level. I repaired them both and can't find anymore holes but I am still losing approximately 1/8 to 3/16 of water each day. I turned off my waterfall and I'm still losing close to the same amount each day. I'm hoping u feel its from evaporation and that I'm just being to picky. I don't want to tear it apart again if it's unnecessary. Please help me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

Joe,

If you live in a hot, dry area, I don't think 1/8 of an inch is unreasonable to lose.

One area where I lose water at least once a summer is when dirt sifts down into a fold and the water wicks up. I have just a small stream area with a flexible liner, so I don't have to look too far to find my problem. Also, damp dirt where it should be dry is a dead give-away.

Hopefully someone else can come up with better information.

Your pond sounds great.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 12:06AM
Joecd

Thank you

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 6:53AM
Holly_ON(6a Ontario)

Windy days seem to increase evaporation.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:19AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

I lose about 4 inches a week in summer...my water and chlorine remover bills are killers!

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 3:04PM
Joecd

Now we are in November and I'm still losing approximately 3/16 of an inch of water each day. Is this still a reasonable amount? I still have the pond running at 100%. I shut down nothing so far. I can't see any visable leaks. Thank you for your help.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 12:56PM
Mike56(7a)

I would say that is normal water loss for this time of year.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 5:18PM
lmjk1221

We lose about the same amount. Various factors contribute - heat and wind being obvious - but also consider splashing from your waterfall and the plants in your pond that take up water through their roots and dissipate it into the air. Surface area plays a part in the equation as well. But to me it sounds like you you're doing fine!

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 6:13PM
Joecd

Thank all of u for helping me.

Bookmark   November 18, 2013 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™