seed ripening if not on plant ?

kitteh(6 ohio)October 27, 2013

If the frost damages or kills a plant, do the seeds that aren't ripe become nonviable ? (mostly asking about morning glories in this case)

If you pick a fruit that isn't ripe, and it ripens, are the seeds then viable ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If the frost damages or kills a plant, do the seeds that aren't ripe become nonviable ?

Yes. But your confusion comes from using the term "ripen". Seeds don't ripen, they mature. Fruit ripens. Flower seeds are mature/viable when the bloom has dried on the plant.

If you pick a fruit that isn't ripe, and it ripens, are the seeds then viable ?

Varies with the fruit somewhat but as a general rule, to be viable. a seed has to mature on the plant. But again mature/viable seed is not always tied to the fruit being "ripe".

For example, tomato seeds are mature once the fruit reaches the breaker (color break) stage and that is many days prior to full ripening.

You can find FAQs on how and when to harvest many different types of seeds over on the Seed Saving forum here.

Dave

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 8:21PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Is the 'breaker (color break) stage' of tomatoes the same as what some people call "first blush"?

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 1:58PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Is the 'breaker (color break) stage' of tomatoes the same as what some people call "first blush"?

Yes. There are several stages of color break but what is sometimes called first blush (blush of developing color at the blossom end) is the first stage. At that point the seeds are mature and the fruit will continue to ripen to full color either on or off the vine.

Dave

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:03PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

For seeds to mature, in certain fruits, they don't need for the fruit to be on the plant (after a given stage). Seed draw nutrients from the fruit itself. But it is different for seeds of flower, eg. Because in that case the seeds are in fact the fruits.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Getting disappointed when planting zinnia from seed.
Okay, first of all, I live in a tropical country, the...
bpmontilla
Pinch or toss?
My sweet peas are leggy. Can I pinch them or should...
Loni Tabor
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
Light cycle for seedlings
Hi everyone! I'm on year 2 of starting my summer garden...
luckybees
Help! Pro-mix BX and green algae
This is my first time to use Pro-mix BX. I kept hearing...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™