Burning Bush Seeds

mary_maxOctober 17, 2006

I am seeing some little red seeds or fruit or whatever now that the leaves are almost gone. Are these the seeds and if so what next. Do I pick them, let them drop, and when do I sow them. What about winter sowing them and if so is now the time?? As always,Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyhoe(z6 OH)

Burning bush seeds a found in the red fleshy aril that are with in the fruit. Clean the seed and give them 1-3 mo cold startification. Seeds may be planted directly ourdoors in fall, sown into pots and kept outside for germination or brought inside once the chilling requirements have been met.

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 7:31PM
mary_max

Let me explain what I did. I picked the red fruit. I opened it and there was another redish orange covering which I then opened and found one clear ivory looking seed. Is this right? Thanks so much.

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 7:48PM
mary_max

Do I take the seed out of the red fleshy aril that is with in the fruit BEFORE sowing or sow it with the fleshy aril?

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 10:15AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

It's usually best to clean any seeds well of any pulp or fleshy bits from the fruit - they may contain germination inhibitors.
i.e. - The Clothiers site recommends scrubbing euonymus seed 3 x per day for seven days before sowing

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 1:33PM
pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)

In many areas it is requested that burning bushes and seeds not be planted as the birds are known to distribute the seeds so completely, the bb's that result outnumber the indigenous plants and crowd them out. You may want to check your area.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 7:53PM
gretchenmi(Zone 5)

Any help here would be very appreciated....I have the Burning Bush seeds cleaned of any pulp and am wondering what next...Keep cold for 1 - 3 months and then can I winter sow them indoors?....It is almost November here in Michigan and it said to sow in fall????......How deep to plant...cover...warmth...?.....Would like to start some indoors this winter for spring planting.....Any help would be wonderful again...Quecha

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 7:01PM
sweeper(5a)

It's on the 'Invasive Plant List' don't plant it.

Find something else that turnings red in the fall.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 7:18AM
happyhoe(z6 OH)

Sow the seeds about 1/4" deep and chill for 3 months. Whether you chill indoors or out you can bring the seeds to normal growning tmeps after the three months is up.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 5:44PM
pink_petunia_20862

Hi Mary, I found seeds on mine and they were germinating right on the plant. I did some research and found this....Propagation

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame. Stored seed requires 8 - 12 weeks warm followed by 8 - 16 weeks cold stratification and can then be sown in a cold frame[78, 98]. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in the greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, 5 - 8cm long taken at a node or with a heel, July/August in a frame. Very easy[200].

heres a link where the article was posted.....http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Euonymus+alatus+apterus

hope that helps.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 11:00AM
redthreaddiy(6a MI)

YES - pink_petunia is right. What I did was planted the seeds 1/16" in peat moss in a milk jug that I cut in half, indoors in November. I misted the top of the peat each day. In February, I taped the top of the milk jug onto the bottom and placed it outside. Once the weather got a little warmer, I could see the seedlings.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™