New to ordering tomato seeds online.....company suggestions

squirrellypete(z7b AL)October 25, 2012

Posted this in seed savers but maybe that was the wrong location so I'll try here:

I am a fairly knowledgeable hobby gardener but I just learned something new after reading through some posts in this forum....you can purchase named hybrid tomato F1 seeds. I just always assumed the F1 seeds could not be ordered by the general public and only by growers licensed to grow varieties like that. I wanted to give greenhouse tomato growing a try and assumed I'd have to go with heirloom varieties, (which I may also try) but I'd kinda' like to start with something I'm more familiar with like Better Boys now that I know that's an option.

My question is: Are all F1 seeds from these companies the same or is there anything I need to know or look for when ordering from them besides who has the cheapest price?? Are there any kinds of treatments or coatings on seeds from some places but not others or is that even a factor? In other words regardless of source, are all Better Boy F1 seeds created equal?

Thank you for any advice.

Danielle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

On something like Better Boy, I'm guessing the online places are probably just resellers selling the same seed.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 12:36AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

In other words regardless of source, are all Better Boy F1 seeds created equal?

_________

With that particular variety since it is well stabilized, likely so since the seeds from all the common hybrids are usually purchased by the reputable commercial suppliers from just a few grower sources and then re-sold to the public. Of course that would not be the case if you buy from individual sellers (IE: those on ebay, amazon, etc.) so you need to stick with reputable vendors.

But that is NOT true for all varieties. There are literally 100's of hybrid varieties where the quality all depends on the source of the seed.

You can find any number of discussions about reputable dealers and non-reputable seed dealers discussed on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. My personal preferences are tomatogrowers.com and tomatofest.com

Dave

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 7:31PM
bugbite(z9a FL)

Hmm, I never heard of F1s being limited to certain growers.
Patented cuttings are limited to licensed growers.
They pay a royalty per cutting, which will be rooted and grown to a plant.
The royalty in a F1 seed is paid in the price of each seed.
The objective is to sell a lot of seeds, and that includes to the public.

Here is a link that might be useful: random seed page

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™