Pruning A Never Before Pruned Rose of Sharon

chipster_2007May 13, 2012

I have a rose of sharon that is at least 10 yrs old that is tall and lanky that has never been pruned before. It is about 8 ft tall with a main stem/trunk that is about 1 1/2- 2 inches wide. There is an area about a foot long, about 5-6 ft up the main stem that has no side branches coming off of it. I would love to trim this to get a fuller and shorter bush. I would like to make the plant about 5 ft tall. Are there any special precautions and/or technique I should take in order to cut this properly? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Everything you need to know about pruning is in the link I have included below!
Please read it through and reread the most pertinent section- Deciduous and Flower Shrubs.
Your choices as regards timing, tools, and the cuts you make will influence this plant for years to come so study up before you make the first cut.
This is the sort of thing you don't get second chances with :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Proper pruning techniques

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 7:03AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the short answer is.. after it flowers.. cut it to 6 inches.. you probably cant kill it.. with no insult to the roots ..

if you dont care about this years flower show ... do it when you are in the mood..

for extra reading.. google: REJUVENATION PRUNING OF FLOWERING SHRUBS

ken

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 7:58AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

If you prune it heavily, be prepared for a ton of suckers to come up from the roots. Shrubs and small trees planted in the right place (with enough space to accommodate their size at maturity) don't need to be pruned. If one wants a 5-ft. shrub, that's what should be planted, not a 10 foot tree.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 9:49AM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

Ken's right (as usual)- you can cut it to a couple of inches and it will grow back. I have several Roses of Sharon, and I love them, but they are, with all due respect, weeds. There are many flowering shrubs that need special pruning, but these aren't the ones.

ROS bloom on new growth, and to keep the flower count high, you need lots of new growth, which will only come with ruthless pruning. I usually cut the strong upright branches in half or more, and the more lateral branches pretty much to stubs, as I need them columnar where they are planted.

We have a row planted along our neighbor's driveway (with their concurrence) for privacy for both of us, and those I let get bigger and don't prune them as much unless a branch gets in the way.

Since you are in MA, your ROS is probably not fully leafed out yet, so prune away.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™