can i prune dwarf crape myrtle?

trishaloveMay 4, 2014

My dwarf crape myrtles are bigger than I would like. They are about five feet and planted in a border now taking over my other shrubs. I would like to cut them back some but worried about stunting blooms. I planted them probably 7 years ago. I've never trimmed them but have noticed they don't flower as profusely as before. There is very little info on the web regarding pruning dwarfs. I have seen to prune after flowering, winter, and/or early spring. It is now first week of may in Washington DC (7a?7b?). I see some new green leaves just recently. Is it too late? Should I wait? Will I be trimming off flowers? THANKS!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

pruning is pruning.. there would not be different rules for a dwarf .. there should be lots of info online about such ...

the usual default.. is to trim after you enjoy the flowers ...

or before if you simply cant stand it anymore.. lol ..

some pix would sure get you better .. more specific info

ken

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:03AM
trishalove

Yes, I wish I would have pruned them last summer after they flowered. I did read an article that stated pruning a dwarf myrtle was much different than pruning a myrtle tree. Even described to what point on the branches to trim them back (back to the branches that are pencil sized). But it said to trim in winter. So I am just concerned I won't have any flowers this summer if I trim them. I guess I will just see what happens.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 3:49PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

All crapes bloom on new wood, so I wouldn't think it would be much a problem to prune them now. The dwarfs do tend to bloom late though, and likely your blooming would be delayed a bit more from pruning. But if you need to prune it, you need to prune it.

Are they leafing out yet?

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:57AM
Sequoiadendron4(6B)

Ditto to what dave just said. They don't start forming their flower buds until much after the foliage has grown out. I would also prune now to the shape you want them.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
weeping pussy willow
i have a weeping pussy willow that is 4 feet tall and...
kansaswheat
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™