Water lillies disappearing

mamadoglewisSeptember 27, 2013

I had six perennial water lilies that we planted in 2012. All did well and bloomed all summer. They all came back this year and started blooming then suddenly they all disappeared in about a week. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened. Our pond is about 2 1/2 acres and is stocked with fish.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Are they in containers or in the bottom of the pond? I don't have fish, but I would guess the fish are eating them....?

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:40PM
mamadoglewis

They are in the bottom of the pond. If it is the fish, do you have any suggestions for next year?

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 4:11PM
catherinet(5 IN)

I wish I could help you mamadoglewis, but I just don't have any experience with water lilies and fish in a bigger pond.
Just keep checking back here and maybe someone will have an answer for you. Sorry I can't help. My "ponds" are very small and I don't have fish. I'll keep an eye on this post and make sure someone helps you while I look for other places you can search.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 4:21PM
sdavis(z7b nc)

Snapping turtles do that, they loaf under good lilypad cover and will gobble a basket of waterlily stems in a day

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 8:13AM
love2gardenn

Not sure what kind of fish you have but if like with our koi in our pond I can't keep plants in their pond, they devour them !
First it seems they root them up looking for places to lay their eggs then boom, they eat the plants. ( I assume while also going after the eggs )
I gave up after trying to keep the plants' rhizomes down in their baskets with lots of rocks , just did not help .

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™