Shrubs for Corner of House

bamahuntinMay 7, 2013

Hello everyone. I'm trying to change/add some shrubbery around my house. One of the things I noticed a lot of people have is cone shaped shrubs at the corners of their house. Some kind of look like cedar type trees, although I know they're are not cedar, they just have that look. But the ones in particular I'm interested in look like cone shaped holly trees. I was shopping around and seen Christmas jewel hollies and was thinking of going with those. I didn't know if maybe they would grow to big though. I don't like the ones that are more of a fat cone shape lol, and I'm not sure if that's what these are. Is their any other cone shaped hollies I should consider? Any advice would be appreciated from a man who has know clue about gardening.
Thanks in advance,
James

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What's your general location?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:18PM
bamahuntin

North Alabama.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:32PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

jeez rhiz.. even i could figure out 'bama'. .. lol ..

if you have seen what you want ... then snap a pic and ask for an ID ... or simply knock on someones door and ask ...

and while you are at it.. snap a pic of the front of your house.. and we might be able to make other suggestions.. should you not wish to make your house look like everyone elses ...

ken

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:48AM
esh_ga

You certainly want to consider the mature size of the shrub. Too many people spend time and effort fighting to keep shrubs near the house in line by pruning. So make sure you pick something that you won't have to make fit by large amounts of pruning. Then you'll come to hate gardening ....

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™