how fast does red twig dogwood grow?

gfult(6)May 13, 2008

I ordered Arctic Fire from Bluestone. I should have known by the price but I didn't realize that it would be just a tiny little thing in a 3 inch pot.

How long will it take to turn into a real "shrub"?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chapelhillgardener(7a NC OrangeCo)

Everything I order from Bluestone gets potted-up for a year or two before planting, especially shrubs.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 2:21PM
alexis717_df

So not what I wanted to hear. I just received five shrubs from Bluestone with plans to plant in about a week. Admittedly they are small, about 8-10 inches tall. If I plant them now, their chance of survival is non-existant, is that right?

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 5:19PM
gardenscout(z6 NE RI)

They grow like weeds for me (but in a good way.) I would definitely put them in the ground now and enjoy them. Those roots will establish very quickly, and they are very winter hardy.

I have several varieties I bought from various online sources, and they all came as a rooted twig. The first year they will put on a little growth, a lot more the next year, and soon you'll be rooting your own cuttings and moving suckers.

I have one that was a gallon from Walmart that is 4 years old. It is about 15 feet high and as wide.

Put them in.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:50PM
gardenscout(z6 NE RI)

Also I meant to say that there is very little question about their chances for survival. I have never had one die on me. I even rooted a cutting last September and it is putting on new growth in a holding bed now (not in a pot). It couldn't have had many roots at all before the hard freeze, and it is fine.

Yours have all season to establish. I am certain they will be fine.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 8:57PM
gfult(6)

Wow, thanks for all of the responses!

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 9:17PM
sixela72

I just received two arctic sun and one arctic fire from garden crossings and circle h growers and have the same issue; the shrubs are no more than 3" tall with one looking like it'll barely make it.

What's the best way to ensure that these will thrive, and how fast do they typically grow (I had planned these to be foundation plantings now, which obviously isn't going to happen for a while).

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 9:40PM
ninam(z5Oh)

My red twig dogwood are at least 10 years old - were doing great until I moved them and they did OK the first year after the move (get at least 6 hrs. sun), and I do water them. Last yr. they were spindly and few leaves so I cut them way back. Now they really look bad - as in not recovering. What could be wrong? Everything I have read is about how easy they are to grow. Perhaps someone can tell me how fast they will grow to recovery or should I buy new ones?

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire Showers close to house
Would it be fine to plant Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire...
delidiva
Pruning Young Loropetalum
I planted a 5 gallon last summer, and it is starting...
misterleadfoot_z9
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
what's this on my Viburnum?
I have two otherwise healthy Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'...
skidoo22
light green/gray discoloration on Nellie Stevens
There are several Nellie Stevens hollies at our new...
hafamily5
Sponsored Products
Red Balls Giclee Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Blue & Red 'Touch the Sky' Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily
Catalan Chair in Black
$849.99 | Dot & Bo
Simpli Home Hamilton Bonded Leather Storage Ottoman - Dark Brown - 3AXCOT-239
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Classic Patterned Headboard
Grandin Road