Sambucus 'Black Lace'

brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)May 3, 2010

Hello;

Anybody have Sambucus 'Black Lace'? I live in zone 8 and I notice the catalog now lists this shrub as being for zone 4-7. Is it going to be too hot here? Also, my yard is all sand- hard for a plant to get enough moisture. Would it be better if I put it in some shade? If you have one of these, are you happy w/ it? How long have you had it and how big is it? (You know how it is, garden companies push this plant or that one for its dramatic looks, then it turns out it doesn't look that good or it has some other major flaw- like being delicate...) Thanks, Brandyray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If other black elderberry are grown there this should too. But it is not likely to like dry, thin soil. Like other elders, when suited it shoots right up.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 11:05PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

Thank you, bboy. It sounds like I need to move it to nearer one of my tended gardens. I don't know of other elderberries here.
The description said it grows to 6 ft tall and 6-8 ft wide...I wonder if it would take over the area that I have a couple star hibiscus planted in? I would think the lacy leaves on both and the contrast in leaf colors would be striking. Well, I might try that. Brandyray

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 6:50AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

A happy one will grow that big in only a few seasons.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 12:06PM
alexis717_df

I'm not in zone 8 but I did plant a couple of these, from 1 gallon containers, two full seasons ago. Last season they were over 6' tall. Probably closer to 7'. This will be their third full season. They are a bit gangly looking in youth but this year their starting to look much fuller. I really like them. Mine are planted in sandy loam, full sun and receive a fair amount of additional watering.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 1:08PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

Thank you, Alexis. I will have to measure the area- I don't want it to crowd out my star hibiscus. Brandyray

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 6:52AM
MollyDog(6 PA)

Your BL can be trimmed to any size you would like to keep it. They can also be treated like a perennial and cut to the ground each year.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 8:41AM
marquest(z5 PA)

You can also use the trimmed branches to make more sambucus. I discovered that they root very easy. My dog stepped on mine and broke some stems I put the broken stems in the moist shade garden and I have 3 new little plants this year.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:46PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

Thank you Molly & marquest. I may decide to plant them by my hibiscus in the middle of my rose garden. And, if I want some more, it's nice to know they are easy to root (expensive to buy). (Funny about that, marquest, I discovered by accident that hibiscus can be divided like a perennial! I think of them as shrubs and I didn't think shrubs could be divided- I was moving mine and I thought I had killed it for sure when the rooted section broke in two, instead I got 2 plants!) Brandyray

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
weeping pussy willow
i have a weeping pussy willow that is 4 feet tall and...
kansaswheat
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™