Possible to transplant a large viburnum?

kuriooo(5)May 2, 2010

Hi,

My neighbor has a lovely viburnum shrub. It's about 8 feet high and maybe 5 wide? I'm guessing it's at least 10 years or more.

I don't know much about viburnums, but it's the highly sweet scented kind, in bloom right now! (zone 5). I love this shrub.

Turns out they have plans to take it out mid-summer.

Is it worth trying to transplant to my yard? How hardy are these things?

Also, is there anything I can do to improve its chance of survival?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adopt_greyhounds(Zone 4b)

I have a similar situation... moving shrubs for a fence. I talked to a landscaper, he said to use a sharp shovel & get as much of the root ball as you can.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 4:45AM
WendyB(5A/MA)

mid-summer is probably the worst time. I've done it successfully twice -- in the fall. The summer conditions will be pretty stressful for the plant. However, vibs are pretty tough so if that's the only time you can get it, you can try.

Prune it back a good amount to remove foliage to compensate for root loss. Put up a temporary screen/shade if its going to a sunny spot. Lots of mulch and deep watering.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 8:41AM
echalmers(6bMD)

Ask your neighbors if you can take it out right now--if they want to part with it, they shouldn't care. You don't say where you are in Maryland, but it gets way too hot here in the summer to transplant anything. Offer to do all the work yourself, and your neighbors should be thrilled.

And yes, cut it back one-quarter to one-third and water it regularly. I transplanted a black haw this year, and it really didn't like being moved (it has a long tap root), but aside from slightly wilty leaves and a rather offended aspect, it is doing well.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 9:40AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

google viburnum MOHAWK ...

if that is it.. or post a pic ..

then just go spend a few bucks and get a potted one.. and forego the 10 hours of backbreaking labor involved in hauling this massive thing from one yard to another ...

there can be a big difference between what you CAN do.. and what you SHOULD do ....

ken

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 12:38PM
kuriooo(5)

Thanks guys... probably is viburnum mohawk. Similar flowers, and definitely very strong fragrance in early spring. Guess I'm going to end up buying one...

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™