good quality check valve

pap79(5)September 19, 2013

I have my skimmer with a 3000 gph pump in it out to the waterfall. I have a cheap check valve installed directly off the pump mounted vertically.

My problem is that the check valves do not do the job after a while. my waterfall tank empties back into the skimmer when I clean the skimmer.

any advise on a good brand of check valve. I use 2" pvc, the pump has a 1 1/2 inch outlet.

Thanks,

Rich

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Rather than a check valve that doesn't work properly, you could put in a vertical open pipe at some point in the horizontal pipe between the pump and the waterfall tank. The open end of this pipe should be above the surface of the waterfall tank.This allows the siphon effect you have now to be broken.

If you are using the waterfall tank as a filter this is important since gunk in that filter returning to the pond can contaminate it.

Bookmark   September 25, 2013 at 8:08PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

It just occurred to me that perhaps you plumbed it so the water enters the waterfall tank from the bottom. If that is the case, the above solution won't work. You would have to install a manual turnoff valve.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 2:07PM
pap79(5)

Thanks for responding,

Your first post really confused me. Thanks for clarifying. I have started to just shut the valve that I have in the pipe off when I turn off the pump to clean the skimmer. It's a pain but it works. I still would like to know of a good quality check valve.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
betta anger issues
Hi guys. I have 3 bettas 1 male 2 female. The male...
clancy87
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™