Please help me save my shrubs

firsttomato(7)May 3, 2012

Hello, I am desperate for help. A few days ago, I had a french drain dug across the width of my home to take care of a major drainage problem. As such, the trench was dug about 2 feet in front of my line of 7 shrubs. Although I can't recall the name variety of shrub, I have babied them since I planted them as 1-ft tall plants about 5 years ago.

The day after the digging, I noticed a ring of dead leaves around each shrub. I watered them thinking it was either shock from the digging or perhaps lack of water, or both. The ditch did not appear to sever any roots, at least none that I could see of any size. Since then the dead leaf areas have expanded.

Here are some pictures. Please help me save my shrubs. I have no idea what to do.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/wchrisma/DSC_4785.jpg[/IMG)

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/wchrisma/DSC_4786.jpg[/IMG)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
firsttomato(7)

Sorry, messed up the photos. Don't see how to edit the post.

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/wchrisma/DSC_4785.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/wchrisma/DSC_4786.jpg[/IMG]

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 11:05PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

man are you trying hard with PB.. lol

copy/paste the HTML code ...

get some pruners.. trace down into the plant.. and cut out all dead parts ... you may be surprised.. that if you trace properly.. its one branch per plant ...

they will fill in ...

i dont know what happened...

ken

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:52AM
firsttomato(7)

OK trying again, sorry folks.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 1:35PM
strobiculate

Would it be proper to assume the trench was dug with a machine?

prune out affected branches, perhaps some fertilizer...and keep motor exhaust away from them

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:22PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Because the spots are so localized, I would tend to agree with strobiculate that it is burns from the exhaust of the machine that was used to dig the trench. If it were a root problem, the plants would be effected similarly all over. Prune out the dead branches as others have suggested and they should be OK. (They look like boxwood to me.)

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:57AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Is the soil level around the shrubs at the same level as it was before excavation? They look very deep. What is going on with the loose bricks?

Sorry they look funky. If it makes you feel any better about their potential for recovery, it took us 2 years to kill a shrub like that at my Mom's house. Cut it down repeatedly for 6 months, then gave up and put a black pot over it, upside down, with the saucer to block the light from the drain holes. It finally quit trying to grow after about 18 months under the pot.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:46PM
maximusdecimus

@purpleinopp Opp! man i wasn't expecting to see that this morning. I lived around your parts for a few years back in early 00's. Lived on Fort Rucker for a few years and rented a house in Enterprise for a few months. I worked at a stage-field by New Brockton, right off hwy 84 (back when they were clearing for the new Hwy section). One of my best buds was working at the Andalusia field for awhile. We had many a fun time out that way and in Dothan. greets from Mississippi.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 10:40AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Heythere, max. Sounds like you know the area well! Waving back!

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:24AM
More Discussions
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™