Cardinal Candy Viburnum not producing foliage.

suz9601May 4, 2014

I put in a Cardinal Candy Viburnum last Fall as well as 2 other kinds of viburnums. The other two have leafed out and look great. The cardinal candy looks like it has dried buds on the branches, but they did not flower out into leaves. They looked dried up. I thought it was dead, but today I noticed that it has some green leaves at the base of the plant. The entire plant is only about 1.5feet tall. Should I cut it back to the base or just leave it? I am not sure since I am new to Viburnums. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

I'd let it go for a while, and when you're sure the upper parts are dead, cut them out and let the new growth take over.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 6:07AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

it is .. most likely not a grafted plant... so it might come back from the roots ... but as lacy notes.. that could take half the summer.. so be patient ...

it seems planted to close to the fence... its not going to stay that size forever ... you planted it according to the size it was in the pot, and most things have a lot more potential ... and it would be better to plan for the future.. rather than battle it on the fence ... i would plan on moving it in fall .. after it loses its leaves.. presuming it leafs out ...

if you have a warranty .... perhaps it isnt worth waiting to find out.. if the root mass is still alive .. if not.. then just be patient ...

ken

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:11AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Looks like a carcass to me, I'd replace it with something else.

Especially if the problem is pathenogenic, you don't want to keep a dead/severely compromised shrub around.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
shrub cover to overwinter hydrangeas in zone 5?
anyone use Nue Vue shrub covers filled with leaves...
jager1
Loropetalum issue
Hi- I'm posting again about another shrub at our new...
hafamily5
What would be a good flowering shrub in Zone 9?
Hello I'm looking for a good flowering shrub that I...
flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a)
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
Converting Mature Escallonia Bush to Large In-ground Bonsai Tree Form
I have two Escallonia shrubs that are 20 years old....
misterleadfoot_z9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™