Growing unknown seeds

adxzNovember 28, 2012

i have an unidentified shrub in my yard and today i got some seeds out of the flower bulbs, i was thinking of getting some soil and trays to try to germinate the seeds now to see what it is. how would i go about this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

In my experience, if you don't find seedlings near the bush/tree, it won't be easy to grow from seed. Try pre-germinating them in a moist paper towel/baggie and see if they germinate. You may have to give them some cold hours, as well.

It would be best to post a picture of the shrub and seeds on the GW plant i.d. forum and find out what you have - then, you can research how best to germinate the seeds.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:14PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I agree. First step is to get the shrub identified.If you take a picture the Name That Plant Forum can almost certainly tell you what it is. Many shrubs are much easier and quicker to grow from cuttings than seeds. Plus if the shrub is a hybrid the seeds will not produce plants identical to the parent. Judging from your use of the term 'flower bulb' to denote the fruit/seed I assume you are a newby, so start with an id and we can help from there. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:28PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

the first step is to identify the plant to figure out what conditions the seeds need to germinate. Or you can provide a multitude of environments in order to determine the cultural conditions the seeds need, but that is going to be a difficult long term project. A lot of perennial seeds will stay in the starting medium for six months or more before sprouting.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Bunny Tail grass seedling
I start Bunny Tail grass indoor. I put them near windowsill....
chipeony
How do my seedlings look to you?
Hi everyone, I have been a member for awhile and have...
lexiegurl09
Problem diagnosis - Please Help!!
I am having an issue where my seedling's leaves are...
Andy Keels
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
When to start eggplant seeds
Johnny's says 8-10 weeks like the peppers. I remember...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Sponsored Products
Vaxcel Jamestown 1-Light Vanity - 8W in. Parisian Bronze - W0017
$122.50 | Hayneedle
Hubbardton Forge Flora 23" Wide Seeded Glass Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Trempealeau 1Lt Pendant Roman Bronze Champagn
$81.00 | PLFixtures
Zara Pendant
$990.00 | Bellacor
Rustic Craftsman Post Lantern
Lightology
Currey and Company Wharton 16" High Espresso Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
WAC Modern Forms | Structure 11in Outdoor Wall Light
$259.00 | YLighting
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Ashmore Collection Textured Black 3-light Wa
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™