Growing unknown seeds

adxzNovember 28, 2012

i have an unidentified shrub in my yard and today i got some seeds out of the flower bulbs, i was thinking of getting some soil and trays to try to germinate the seeds now to see what it is. how would i go about this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

In my experience, if you don't find seedlings near the bush/tree, it won't be easy to grow from seed. Try pre-germinating them in a moist paper towel/baggie and see if they germinate. You may have to give them some cold hours, as well.

It would be best to post a picture of the shrub and seeds on the GW plant i.d. forum and find out what you have - then, you can research how best to germinate the seeds.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 1:14PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I agree. First step is to get the shrub identified.If you take a picture the Name That Plant Forum can almost certainly tell you what it is. Many shrubs are much easier and quicker to grow from cuttings than seeds. Plus if the shrub is a hybrid the seeds will not produce plants identical to the parent. Judging from your use of the term 'flower bulb' to denote the fruit/seed I assume you are a newby, so start with an id and we can help from there. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name That Plant

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:28PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

the first step is to identify the plant to figure out what conditions the seeds need to germinate. Or you can provide a multitude of environments in order to determine the cultural conditions the seeds need, but that is going to be a difficult long term project. A lot of perennial seeds will stay in the starting medium for six months or more before sprouting.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
Do not use Miracle Grow Potting Soil for seed starting!
We decided to use some leftover Miracle Grow Potting...
cmonkey
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™