Privet Overgrown

Allen456(8)June 10, 2013

I have some of the "mildly" invasive privet, not sure if it's Japanese or Chinese. Anyways, after being in the ground for 5 years they are almost 20' tall. Can I aggressively prune these things back to about 6'? I live in zone 8, we've had an incredibley wet spring but summer is about to turn on the heat, don't want to kill them, just get them back to shrub size.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Mildly? You must not be in the southeast then.

Yes, you can cut them back even to ground level and they will absolutely re-sprout. I haven't seen anything but herbicide kill them yet.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:25PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

cant really help w/o a pic.,.

but let me suggest that if you want them at 6 feet.. you prune them back to 5 .. so as to get them to green back over in the center top ...

and while you are interested.. google REJUVENATION PRUNING OF SHRUBS ... and study up on that system ...

what you can do.. is do a couple a year at full rejuvenation ... remaking the whole plant ....it really would be the way to go ....

and if you did say.. every other one.. you would still maintain 90% of your privacy ... and over 3 years.. have a very healthy hedge ...

ken

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:54PM
Allen456(8)

That's exactly what I'm doing. As I started yesterday, I realized I was going to end up with a row of sticks, so I whacked one back to about 6' and will wait for it to put out some new growth before moving on to the next one.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 6:31AM
More Discussions
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™