Celosia won't grow

summervinDecember 18, 2013

Hi,

I am new in gardening. I am taking over the baton from my dad as he is getting older and not very mobile to do gardening anymore.

First off, I am living in Singapore and I suppose the humidity is right for most gardening. I planted a few Celosia(Cockscomb) seeds and it germinated. Initially I wasn't sure how long should I transplant it into a larger space so I waited till 40-50 days after planting in the seeds. I managed to keep it alive until now it is almost 70 days but it just doesn't grow any taller.

It has 2 leaves(one set) just like any seedlings and I noticed 2 of it started to have 4 leaves. I wonder what has happened to it that it grow so slow. I watered it to make sure it is moist but not wet. Can anyone expert advice on this? Thank you very much..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

Hi summervin and welcome to GardenWeb!

Sorry to hear youâÂÂre having problems with the celosia. Actually, itâÂÂs hard to offer any suggestions because there are just so many possibilities and you have given so little information :-) Are these plants something you started inside? Under lights or in a window? Or did you start them outside? Where are the plants now? Have you fertilized at all and with what? Are they getting plenty of sun?

IâÂÂve grown celosia for years, starting them inside under lights in very late winter. They have always been very fast growers. The only mistake I made (first time I grew them) was to move them outside too early. Celosia can not stand cold weather, they love the heat. If put outside too early they take forever to recover (if at all).

If you could explain in more detail, maybe someone will have some ideas that may be helpful. Personally, there just is not enough information here to even give me a clue.

Art

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanzone5(z5NY)

What are the seeds planted in? Soil? Indoors or outdoors? Containers or in ground? What is the source of water and nutrients? What is the temperature day and night? Is it possible an animal is eating the tops off the plants?

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™