Primrose Lilac (infamous yellow lilac)

jgreen8520June 2, 2006

I have bought two of these, so called, Yellow lilacs, much to my disappointment. I was told that it would take a minimum of 5 years for the blooms to turn the "butter yellow". Well, 7 years into it and it was still a single flowered "BRIGHT WHITE", so I bought another one that was guaranteed to be yellow..no color change at all.. umph !! It's now been 13 years and the second one is "BRIGHT WHITE" and so is the first one..........still!!!

Does anybody have or ever seen this so-called, "yellow lilac"? Please, if you know of one, or know someone who actually has one. I sure would like to get a start from it.

jgreen8520@hotmail.com

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

My question is where did you buy these lilacs from? Some nurseries are much more reliable and responsible than others. If Klehms, for example, sells a yellow lilac, their guarantee is worth a million times more than, say, Gurneys or Spring Hill.

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 7:55AM
shetland_pony

I have one, bought it in a "box" from walmart. It is now 3 years old. about 3-4 ft in height. It bloomed this year for the first time (TONS TONS TONS of flowers)a VERY pale yellow, one would think it was white. But I also have a white lilac next to it, and it is definately not white. So I wonder if I have more years to wait for the "photo shot" of the yellow that you see in catalogs.

Bookmark   June 28, 2007 at 5:47PM
york_rose

I've never grown it, but I've read before that it's far more yellow in Europe than it is in the USA.

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 3:37PM
cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)

Oh, man.
I bought two, 4 years ago. They've never bloomed, either.
If I remember correctly, I bought from Spring Hill (now owned by Gardens Alive! I think). I gave one to my SIL, who has yet to see blossoms, either.

White? I've dug those up and given them away. Grrrrr...

Christine

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 10:18AM
ingenue

i bought two from spring hill myself and never has the thing blossomed and that was like 7 years ago.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 6:14AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

a lot of yellow flowers.. will bleach out to white in full sun ... and yet might be yellow in more shade...

but flowering bushes need full sun to bloom ... real catch 22 ...

look at a globe .. and be startled how far north most of Europe is to most of us.. inclination of the sun will easily fit into the logic .. in other words.. the sun is much more intense here.. and therefore.. a very light yellow might fade to white extremely fast ...

in hosta ... of which i have a few.. there are very few pure white flowers .... almost all have some purple in them .... if grown in full shade.. you can see the purple rather easily ... whereas the same plant.. in full sun.. will look like it has a white flower ... go figure ...

ken

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 9:10AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

It's primrose yellow at first, fading later even in our dull climate here.

Bookmark   July 29, 2008 at 3:48PM
piggyacres_gmail_com

Try this link: Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens, Inc. in Woodland, Washington. They have world class lilacs. They are in the middle of their selling season right now. I live near there so don't know if they will ship other areas or not.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 12:39AM
imshl12_aol_com

A million thanks to the previous posters! I had a feeling this yellow lilac was too good to be true and you just saved me from a long wait only to be disappointed!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 9:41PM
Carolynarthur807_hotmail_com

Can I say S@$%!!!! I ordered one from Spring Hill, it will be here this fall. I live in Washington and in what is also called the Lilac City ( Spokane ). Maybe it will do ok things don't get above the 70's here until late June. Maybe that will help me? I had selected a spot in my yard that gets sun most of the day, should I select a different spot?

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™