Bareroot Knockout roses?

forensicmomMarch 24, 2009

I am planning to expand one of my beds this year and will need 5 Double Knockout's, along with 2 regular Knockout to replace some in another spot. Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, I have been forced to scale WAY back. I figured I might be able to buy 1 or 2 this season, however I just stopped by Home Depot for something else and walked through their garden center. They had Knockouts and Double Knockouts, bareroot, in the boxes for $10.00 each.

I would be able to afford all of the roses I needed this year at this price BUT is it worth it? Will they be as good quality?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairie-rose(5a)

If you wait, you'll probably be able to get big potted ones cheaply somewhere--I got a Double KO at Menard's (similar to Lowes/HD) last year on sale in April for about $10 each. Walmart, even some supermarkets sell KO's, you're bound to find a deal.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 1:25PM
prairielaura(6b)

I bought some of their bareroot KO's and put them into pots to see if they were going to survive, before I went to the effort of planting them. That was in mid-January. After they demonstrated some growth, I dumped the poor things out into their new homes, and after enduring howling winds less than a week later, they have rallied and seem to be taking hold very well. It is worth a try since, as mentioned above, you will likely see a sale later on if you have any failures. By then the ones that made it will have good roots in your garden, hopefully...mine have flower buds.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 9:24PM
forensicmom

Thanks. At least in my area, I've never seen any gallon size Knockouts OR Doubles for less then $19.00. I got 2 at the end of the season at Walmart and they were very small containers for $12.00. Fortunately I've planted 3 bareroot roses last year and they all performed great for me with lots of blooms their first year.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 9:55AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Bareroot KOs are pretty easy to grow. I just grow them in the container and let it develop root system. However, I have dug larger KO roses bareroot out of ground often times and they never suffered. That is done in the winter though. I'm not sure how they'd do during the summer but I'd imagine they would suffer a bit.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 3:42PM
scardan123

bareroot for 10$ = 8Â already looks as a deal looking at prices here! :-)
Anyway, you shold not compare just the price, but also the quality of the roots with the quality of the potted plant.
Personally, I prefer bareroot roses, so they grow (and adapt) since the beginning in the soil of my garden.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 4:17PM
prairielaura(6b)

Ho-o-o-ld the phone!!! Our Wallyworld just unloaded big potted KO's, both double pink and double red, for thirteen dollars apiece! Blooming like mad! If I had known, I sure wouldn't have messed with my puny little bareroots. Grrrr.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 6:23PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

No kidding prairelaura....

For a few bucks more, I would have waited for 2g Sunny KO. Oh well.

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 11:18PM
dhaval

hi....

Homedepot have special for knockout roese 1GL for 8.95 on memorial weekend...

good luck

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Wax on rose
In mid-January, I bought a bareroot rose from Lowes...
Gary
Aunt Margy's Rose
This picture was supposed to join the others on my...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Is this the dreaded Rose Rosette?
I only recently found out about RRD but I thought that...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Does this Alfalfa Tea look right?
The first picture is the tea trying to bubble up through...
missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™