Can a pot be too large for a seedling?

josko021December 8, 2009

Is there a downside to planting a few (say, pepper) seeds in a 12" pot as opposed to starting them in a flat and transplanting several times up to the 12" size? Let's assume the end goal is to grow the plant in a 12' pot.

I've read somewhere that a pot can be 'too large' for a seedling.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_littlerockar(8a-7b mid Arkansas)

So glad you asked this. It is a question I've wondered about, too. Will be watching for answers to your question.

Mary

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 10:17AM
yiorges-z5il

A qualified yes.... there is extra soil to hold water & this can cause root rot... solution depay watering untill soil is damp not wet

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 4:14PM
calistoga_al

The problem is not the size of the pot but that many soils sold for potting are too moisture retentive and depend on the transpiration and evaporation to remove water from the soil. Much information is available on the container growing site to solve this problem. Al

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 9:53AM
pardak(5)

As mentioned above it's usually the soil thats the problem not the container size. Seedlings have very fine roots and can easily rot if the soil holds too much water. Most seedlings can benefit from a free-draining soil. As Al said there is much information available on this topic over in the Growing in Containers forum.

Personally I grow my seedlings in very small containers then transplant them to larger containers as needed.

Bookmark   December 9, 2009 at 3:40PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

One would think that if a pot could be too large then any seedling that started from a seed that had fallen in the wild would be in trouble. Probably most seedlings from seeds that fall in the wild are, in fact, in trouble but some make it anyway.

Bookmark   December 10, 2009 at 6:17PM
calistoga_al

It is not appropriate to compare seedlings in the ground to seedling in a container. Al

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 9:51AM
rusty_blackhaw(6a)

Indoor-grown seedlings also have to contend with limited air circulation, which together with soil that stays damp too long (because there are few roots to take it up) promotes damping off and other diseases.

The dangers of transplanting to too large a pot can be exaggerated (especially with fast-growing plants like peppers and tomatoes), but I wouldn't try starting them out in a 12" pot unless I used a very free-draining mix and had good light and air movement.

Bookmark   December 26, 2009 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Growing Japanese Maple Seeds (Acer Palmatum) How? & Dealing w/ mold?
Hi, so recently I just got some Japanese maple seeds...
rinlearning
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™